November 10, 2016

This Two Year Journey

When my ex and I broke up, I wasn't sure what kind of direction I wanted my life to go. I always thought I was going to be married by now because that's just how things progressed. But at the back of my head, there was a small voice that said it wasn't the right time yet. I silenced that voice for years. 

It wasn't until a few months after the break-up that I accepted it. 

Initially I started to go to the gym and go out almost every weekend. I was a woman with a purpose. I was going to get better so I can date as much as I could after being in a relationship with just one guy my entire life. I was going to explore. But that too got boring and tiring and I realized I wasn't a serial dater and I had no idea how to flirt.

So I started to explore experiences instead. I watched plays, went to music gigs and sang at open mic nights. I started trying things I was afraid of. I did a hike, climbed down a cliffsl with no harness and only a string of metal cables to hold on to, I jumped out of a plane at 14,000 feet, I surfed even though I couldn't swim, I got good at boxing, I took plane rides and train rides in a foreign country alone, I can play a few songs fingerstyle with my guitar and now I'm learning to play football.

These are all things I never thought I'd do. They were just things in a list until I decided to wait for no one and do it with or without anyone. And all these things have been rewarding in so many ways. I look back and I can see how far I've come and as for how much further I can go? The road is limitless. I am living a life I want, one that I'm proud of.  

And when I look back, I wonder, what if I resisted change instead of making the best out of the circumstances. I'd probably be married and stuck at home nursing a baby I wasn't ready to have instead of coming home from football practice. Life always works out when you let things unfold and when you chase after the right things. 

I found the quote below when I was newly single. Back then I didn't believe it. All I knew was I wanted to be in love. That life without a relationship was bleak. But right now, this quote rings true for me. 

And maybe one day someone will come along. And they'll be the proverbial icing on the cake. Or maybe they won't. Either way, I am whole and happy and that's all that matters. Life is amazing, the way it unfolds.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 Excessively Random