March 15, 2015

10 Things I Asked before I did the Trek to Mount Pinatubo's Crater

I haven't trekked/hiked in a long time. The last time I did, I wasn't prepared. I wanted to do it right this time so I did a little research. But as with everything else, some questions are best answered from experience. So here are a list of 10 questions I asked myself while preparing for the Pinatubo Trek.

View from the Top: Mt. Pinatubo Crater Lake


1) Should I go with a tour operator or do I plan and DIY my Pinatubo Trip?
The answer is really dependent on how big your group is and the number of people. The maximum capacity of the 4x4 ride to the drop off point is 5 people. If your group is in multiples of 4 or 5 and you're a big group it will be cheaper to DIY your trip. We opted to go with the TriPinas tour because we were expecting to have 6 people in our group and it only cost us Php1,999 each (vs our estimated Php2,400 per person if we went with the DIY option). It was more convenient for us. Plus Mr. Tee, the tour guide/operator for TriPinas was extremely organized and efficient and answered all my questions before the tour. He was also respectful of everyone's time, arrived at the meeting point very early and made sure everything was right on schedule.

Mr. Tee, French Tour Guide from Tripinas schooling Pinoys on Pinatubo. Photo c/o Aaron Vales



The rest of the people from the tour on the bus ride home. photo by TriPinas
2) Should I wear contact lenses or glasses
I listed pros and cons for this before I decided to just wear my glasses and it did it's job. The 4x4 ride was very dusty and if I wore contacts the risk of irritated eyes and possibly an infection is higher. The lens solution would also mean added load, and I was already carrying 1.5 liters of water in my backpack. The trail was an easy one so I didn't have to worry about my glasses falling off. I asked my friend who wore contacts if it felt inconvenient or if her eyes got irritated, she told me the dust didn't get in her eyes because she was shielded by her sunglasses and yes, lenses were convenient. So this is really just a matter of personal choice.

3) Should I wear hiking sandals or rubber shoes? 
Due to lack of time to research and money to shop, I opted to wear my Brooks Pure Connect running shoes. They were lightweight so it was easy to walk around in. It was made of mesh so everytime there was a stream, my toes would get wet (but it also dried fairly fast) the shape was also rounded which according to a few website reviews were reminiscent of trail running shoes. The grip was okay, I didn't slip so no further damage was made to my accident prone and recently sprained left foot. It also protected me from getting cut from a few odd shaped rocks along the way. I saw a few people wearing hiking sandals which was also fine since they were able to navigate the shallow streams quite easily (versus those in rubber shoes who were afraid to get their feet wet). I guess you can wear either hiking sandals or rubber shoes as long as it's got really good grip. 

Brooks PureConnect - Lightweight, Snug Fit, 4mm heel to toe drop, breathable mesh. My running buddy for 3 years.
4) How much water should I bring?
The tour guide said 1.5 liters should last you the entire trip and it was a fair estimate. Please bring re-usable bottles, we don't need to add to the millions of non-recyclable bottles of water that contribute to global warming.

5) Should I bring a jacket?
I recommend bringing a jacket. It's windy and if you're ginawin like me you'll need it. Also, if you don't want to get sunburned, this is the way to go. I really wanted to buy the KWay Jacket but I opted for the Uniqlo Windbreaker (from the Men's Section). It's cheaper, it's also water resistant, good for light rains, lightweight, foldable, keeps you cool, has UV protection, has a hood, two side pockets and makes you look like you've been hiking trails your entire life.


6) Are there restroom stops?
There's a pay restroom at the base camp (5 pesos for the washroom, 50 pesos for the shower), another one at the area where the 4x4 drops you off to begin your hike (with water and tabo), and another at the Pinatubo Crater.

7) Will the 4x4 trip be boring
Nope. The roads may be dusty and bumpy but the scenery is beautiful. We asked the driver to stop a couple of times so we can take photos.



8) Can I make the trek even though I don't live an active lifestyle
Yes you can! :)

9) How much food should I bring?
I'm always scared of starving or getting lost so I brought half a kilo of cooked cheesedogs (for sharing), 1 cup of rice, 3 snickers bars, M&Ms and Piattos which was really more than enough.

10) How much should I tip the driver and the tour guide
We gave the driver and the tour guide P100 each. Not sure if that's the standard or we're just kuripot. Drivers and tour guides get paid around 300 - 400 pesos each for an entire day's work. They can only make one tour trip per day because it's time consuming and they only have work during the summer months because once the rainy season comes, the paths to the crater are filled with water and they have to look for other odd jobs to sustain them and their families. So please consider that when deciding whether or not you should tip.

Other things you'll need to bring:
Trashbag
Scarf - to cover your nose from all the lahar/dust from the 4x4 ride. I brought my headware (20 ways to wear!!!) and used it to cover my nose and as a neck scarf so my nape won't get sunburned.
Sunglasses - to shield from the dust
Light backpack - please do not overpack. You'll regret it.
Extra shirt/Shampoo/Soap/Towel - you will be covered with dust when you get back to the base camp. You will need this.
Sunblock - I brought Coppertone for my arms and legs and Ocean Potion Zinc Oxide cream (which has tons of mixed reviews online but worked okay for me) for my face.

Mt. Pinatubo Crater. Photo by Rosella Lopez


Slow down when you hike. It's not about how fast you get to the top. Enjoy the scenery.

Check out my friend Leeza's blog for her Pinatubo adventure and stories from her and her sister's travels across the globe.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 Excessively Random