January 02, 2015

The One Thing I'm Most Grateful For in 2014

I never knew how strong a support system I had until my crisis this year.
To some people, heartbreak feels like a shallow thing to go through, especially in your 20's because there are more devastating things in the world than heartbreak.

But I've never had my heart broken before and I was very grateful to find out that despite the heartbreak, the world was filled with overflowing love from family and friends. And that made it easier to get back up and move forward with my life. When a friend told me that I was such a strong person to function and recover so quickly, the truth is, I was only doing well because my friends were there every minute to give me the support I needed without me having to ask.

I guess it'strue that times like this reveal the people who really care. It's the friends who picked up their phone at the ungodliest hour, the ones who cried with me because they felt how broken I was, the ones who moved their schedules around at a moments notice just to be with me, the ones who willingly volunteered as "temporary substitute boyfriends" who sent messages in the morning and at lunch and at night until I was fine on my own, the ones who brought gifts and care packages as if breakups were celebrations of freedom, the ones who braved the traffic and long commutes just to be there to listen and not judge and watched me make a mess and not care, the ones who agreed to spur of the moment trips and drinking sprees that were so out of character for me but they didn't care because at the time it was what I needed, the ones who showed me new places and helped me fall asleep and the ones who are now celebrating with me as we walk towards new beginnings - these are the ones worth keeping.

You guys know who you are. I love you so much.

Happy 2015!

photo stolen from the internet




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 Excessively Random