October 10, 2014

My Love Affair with Tide/Edit

It all started with a break-up.

Everyone said the first thing you should do is to go back to who you were before the relationship happened. It was so hard to remember who I was after being with someone for six years that the only thing that stood out for me was this - I was someone who loved music. It's rare for me to find music I can have a love affair with, but when I do, I fall hard. I'd play one album for months on end that my siblings would start to hate me. I'd buy CD's of bands I liked and go to their concerts/gigs. I even went as far as pursuing radio for a while to feed my musical inclinations. But that was then and I felt I was so far removed from who I used to be that I couldn't appreciate music the same way I used to. 

In an effort to keep me busy, a friend invited me to go to Fête de la Musique at her friend's bar which will feature an Indie line up for the night. I'm more of a rock/alternative/pop kind of girl so I went not knowing what to expect. When we got there, the place was packed with people. Good music filled up all the empty spaces left in between. It was love at first listen and I thought to myself that, for a long time, I have never heard anything that made me feel this alive. A spark was lit within me and I was left wanting more. When the band's set ended, I wasn't able to catch their name.


Tide/Edit at the Fete. Photo by Therese Sanico taken from Tide/Edit's FB page 
When I got home, I googled all the band names in the line up just so I can find them until I finally had a name to match the music I heard - Tide/Edit. That one liner description in their website "We play happy music" sealed the deal for me. I was musically in love even though I had no idea what post-rock or math rock was. 

Their album is called Foreign Languages, which is a very fitting title because Tide/Edit is so fluent when it comes to the language of sound that while their music speaks to me in a way I cannot translate - I can understand by way of emotions and feelings.


My favorite track from their album - Always Right, Never Left. I love the wordplay in the title. I'm not articulate enough to describe the music and its nuances. But every time I listen to it, I feel amazed at the wide range of happy emotions that it evokes within me. This is what it means when people tell you that good music is their choice of drug. 

I also like listening to Another Yes, because as I've told friends, it perfectly captures how you feel when doors to new beginnings keep opening for you. Was It a Cat I Saw and Was It a Rat I Saw are two tracks that are complementary to each other. You can read this article by Vandals on the Wall  for a more eloquent review of Tide/Edit's music.

The album is available on spotify/itunes or you can grab a CD or drop by a gig - that's always the best way to be introduced to someone's music.


photo from Tide/Edit website
The album was also available in this brilliantly packaged limited edition cassette USB that I was't able to get my hands on:


photo from Tide/Edit Bandcamp Site
photo from Tide/Edit Bandcamp Site

Tide/Edit Casette USB photo from their Bandcamp Site
According to last fm:
"Tide/edit is an instrumental quartet from the Philippines. The band consists of Jawin Pagaduan, Noe Rubio, Nelson Villamayor, and Clarence Garcia. Originally formed in 2011 as a duo, they ended up as a full-blown band."

Other places you can find them on:
Bandcamp: http://tideedit.bandcamp.com/
Tide/Edit's website: http://tideeditmusic.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/tideeditmusic
Twitter: https://twitter.com/tideeditmusic


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 Excessively Random